Robert Muir built St Bernards House in 1881 on the site of the present Council Quarry on Kaiser Road, as an accommodation house for its managers and staff. He bought almost 2000 acres of heavy scrubland at the top of the southern end of the mountain intending to grow sugar cane when the land was cleared. Mr. Muir was drowned in the flooded Logan River at Yatala in 1887.
Following owners started a village settlement and moved St Bernards to its present site in 1898. During its history, St Bernards has had many varied roles including Post Office receiving centre, in 1915 it became a licensed property, the 1920’s saw St Bernards as a convalescent Private Hotel and an accommodation House for up to 100 guests. The tariff was three pound fifteen shillings per week.
The main part of the hotel (the lounge and public bar) was built by John Siganto in 2012–2014 and it’s hotel licence was required then.
Today, St Bernards prides itself on its country home-style atmosphere, with great food, good people and the warm ambience typical of a country pub. Summer allows you to escape the heat enjoying wonderful alfresco dining with fabulous views, whilst winter provides a cosy ambience with fireplaces.
St Bernards is the largest and most famous Hotel on the Mountain, located in heart of Gold Coast Hinterland.